In the ongoing national effort to support businesses and individuals who have been socially and economically disadvantaged by the threat of the corona virus (COVID-19) pandemic the Government of Guyana approved a number of relief measures. Tax measures include:
- Removal of VAT on Water and Electricity with effect from April 01, 2020 to June 30, 2020.
- Removal of VAT on Domestic Air Travel with effect from April 08, 2020 to June 30, 2020.
- The waiver of VAT and duties on all medical supplies for the testing, prevention and treatment of COVID- 19 for the period 26th March, 2020 to June 30, 2020.
- The Authority will expedite the processing of VAT refunds for businesses and PAYE refunds for employees.
- Extension of the April 30th deadline for the filing of tax returns to June 30, 2020. However, estimated remaining taxes using “balance of taxes”, for the Year of Income 2019 (Year of Assessment 2020) must be paid by April 30th, 2020.
- The granting of Tax deductions for all donations made by local businesses to staff and health institutions for the treatment of the virus.
- The deferral of the payment of advance corporate and individual advance taxes for the Year of Assessment 2021 (Year of Income 2020) and PAYE for affected businesses until June 30, 2020.
- Affected businesses will pay advance taxes on the current year basis.
- The Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) has introduced the pre-payment functionality in ASYCUDA World for all Export Declarations.